Monoprinting and Blend modes

Week 20

PDP

So this week we got a lesson on PLPs which I found really useful as every time it comes to writing a PLP I’m stuck on what to write. So now I know what to do the next time I have to write one.

Pathways

Last week we were given a new brief for our pathways project and so we all have to do research into the three pathways in art and see which ones we may prefer in our later years in the degree. We then have to present our findings in a PowerPoint presentation which I am quite nervous for, as I have never done one of these since standard grade English in third year, so I am a little rusty.

My PowerPoint presentation.

For my chosen pathway I think I am most likely to go into Contemporary Art Practise, as I like conceptual pieces and I also most like painting and drawing. However I do Like certain aspects from visual communication, like lens based and digital media and also illustration.

Critical review

For my Critical review, I knew I wanted to do something related to Kokascha’s Portrait of a Degenerate artist, which he painted in retaliation to the Nazi’s banishing any art that wasn’t considered “classical”. After searching through some article, I found one on the guardian talking about the discovery of 1,500 pieces of art work in a flat in Munich. I found this article interesting as it talked about how this could reveal Hitler’s true opinions on art.

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2013/nov/04/munich-hoard-lost-art-nazis

Transformation

This week we started a printing workshop for our transformation brief. I am glad we started this as printing is something I have always heard of other people doing, but I have never had the chance to myself.
We started off doing mono printing, I stuck to just using black, so I could get used to the process.
I took the negative of these prints after doing the first one. This is
the image of a single snowdrop – a symbol of death
to fit in with my theme of decay.

I did a quick sketch of a fly and I like how the negative of this
turned out.

For this one I tried to draw a crow, but it didn’t turn out very well

The one on the left was the first print I did and I draw the Grim Reaper’s
scythe. I then experimented with using my finger to smudge
 in the ink rather than using the pencil.
The one on the right is a simple sketch of a decayed brick wall,
when smudging I accidentally ripped the paper , so
next time I will know to lean more gently.

We also did more PhotoShop work in Friday’s lesson, this time experimenting with different blend modes, for some I also experimented with hue, saturation and brightness etc.

 Fro this photograph of a bonfire, I used the blend mode linear light and overlayed a dark purple
colour on top. I also edited the colour balance.

This is a photograph of a fly, I inverted the colours, and edited how much it was
posterised and the channel mixtures. I then used the blend mode colour
dodge and overlayed a dark blue.

This is a photograph of a mouldy lemon, i used the blend mode divide
and overlayed green. I also edited the hue and saturation levels.

With my photograph of decayed nectarines I used a vivid light blend
mode and overlayed a dark red colour.

This is a photograph of a rusted swing and used
the hard mix blend mode. I then overlayed a red
green gradient over the top

On this photograph of a broken wall I used the blend mode linear burn, and overlayed a purple colour.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: